Acid reflux is a common disorder caused by the discharge of stomach acid into the long tube (the oesophagus) which joins the mouth to the stomach. In this disease, muscles of the lower colon fail to perform functions effectively. Heartburn, sensation of discomfort and burning in the chest are the most common symptoms of acid reflux. In severe cases, it can cause difficulty in swallowing. Stomach acid also can corrode your teeth causing dental decay.
Many people suffer from acid reflux and most of them are unaware of it. It is caused by anything that compromises the lower part of the oesophagus, nausea, an unpleasant taste in the mouth and persistent cough. Eating large meals, being overweight, snacking close to bedtime, eating carbohydrates, fizzy drinks and smoking can be major causes of acid reflux. In children, symptoms are ear infections and lack of appetite. Caffeine can also cause acid reflux. Patients suffering from this disease may feel fatigued and lose weight. Some women suffer from acid reflux during pregnancy. It happens due to increasing levels of hormones and the condition usually goes away after the birth of the baby.
People with fatty livers can sometimes suffer with acid reflux.
Heartburn is an unpleasant symptom of acid reflux. It is caused when stomach acid enters the mouth from the oesophagus. Bicarbonate of soda is a natural remedy for heartburn.
In extreme cases surgery is an option, though not one that we at Beechcroft Retreats advocate. By taking natural antacids, this can ease the symptoms. However, it can also have some mild side effects like diarrhea.
Here are some tips to prevent acid reflux:
- Don’t eat heavy meals before going to bed
- Eat three to four meals instead of taking two heavy meals
- Eat slowly so that your stomach has time to digest your food.
- Stay away from onions, coffee, tea and all spicy foods, as these can cause heartburn.
- Nicotine is one of major causes of acid reflux, it can weaken the colon and the acidic nature of smoking can aggravate the oesophagus.
- If you are overweight take some effective steps to lose weight
Beechcroft Retreats offer a ten day juice fast, it is one of the most natural and effective ways of detoxifying. . The major positive effects of juicing are:
- increased energy levels and mental clarity
- improved digestive system
- weight loss
- lowers blood pressure
We are offering an extensive and extremely effective range of treatments which can help liver disease and acid reflux. All of our experts have devoted their careers to the study and practice of naturopathy.