Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition that affects how a woman’s ovaries work.
PCOS affects millions of women in the UK. The three main features of the condition are:
- Cysts that develop in your ovaries (polycystic ovaries)
- Your ovaries do not regularly release eggs (ovulate)
- Having high levels of “male hormones” called androgens in your body
Symptoms of PCOS usually become apparent during your late teens or early twenties. They can include:
- Irregular periods or no periods at all
- Difficulty getting pregnant (because of irregular ovulation or failure to ovulate)
- Excessive hair growth (hirsutism) – usually on the face, chest, back or buttocks
- Weight gain
- Thinning hair and hair loss from the head
- Oily skin or acne
Polycystic ovary syndrome is associated with an increased risk of problems in later life, such as type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol levels. You should speak to your GP if you think you may have PCOS.
At Beechcroft Retreats we have holistic treatments to help with Weight Gain. Speak with us or book a stay and find out more!